Internet Hardware and Equipment
Confused about whether or not you need a router, access point or Ethernet card? We’re here to help clear up your technical quandaries. Computer hardware can be confusing, especially with all of the networking options available today. While some providers will lend or lease equipment such as modems, chances are, you will be responsible for buying your own. Sometimes it’s more cost efficient than leasing from your provider anyway.
General Information About Cable Modems:
- Wireless Cable Modems
- Cable Modem Tweaks
- Cable Modem Trouble Shooting - Common Questions and Answers
- Cable Modems, Ethernet cable, Hubs & Other Broadband Gear
- Cable Modem Drivers
- Null Modem
Brand Name Cable Modems:
- Broadband Connectivity: Motorola Surfboard Cable Modems
- Choosing a Motorola Cable Modem
- LinkSys EtherFast Cable Modem
General Information About Routers:
Comparing Wireless Routers
Buying a Wireless Router
Brand Name Routers:
D Link Router
LinkSys Wireless Router
General Information About Sound Cards:
Brand Name Sound Cards:
Our Guide to Internet Hardware Depending on Your Connection Type
- If you have: Cable Internet Access
Then you need: a cable modem, an Ethernet card and a router, depending on your needs.
- If you have: DSL Internet Access
Then you need: a DSL modem and possibly a router or wireless router.
- If you have: Wireless Internet Access
Then you need: an access point (unless you plan on only using public hotspots) and a network card.
- If you have: Dial-up Internet Access
Then you need: A computer that is compatible with a phone cord, phone line modem.
- If you have: Satellite Internet Access
Then you need: a satellite dish from your provider and one or two modems (for uplink and downlink).
Go to your local technology or computer store and ask a representative to point you in the right direction for your equipment needs. Most sales people really know their stuff and are full of helpful information. Be sure to ask about the absolutely necessary equipment, like modems and routers before you buy any of the fancy accessories.
You can also look online to compare prices of each component before buying. With all of the competition in the technology industry, getting a discounted price is easier than you would think.
- Networking Basics
- Before You Buy Computer Equipment - Read This!
- Why Laptops are Different Than Desktops
- Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Your Cable Modem Splitter
- Benefits of Using Hardware Recommended by Your ISP
- The Linksys Wireless-G Router is Great for Broadband Networking
- The Future of Internet Connectivity: Wireless Broadband Access
- Wirelessly Connecting Your Game Systems to the Internet
- Best Places to Buy Wireless Routers
- Wireless Cable Modem Information and Comparison
- Boosting your Wireless Broadband Internet Signal with a Wi-Fi Antenna
- What Is a Wireless Broadband Router
- What is a Wireless Router?
- PlayStation Portable
- How to Secure Your Wireless Broadband Network